Research Institute of Visual Computing
The Research Institute of Visual Computing, RIVIC, is the collaborative amalgamation of research programmes between the computer science departments in Aberystwyth, Bangor, Cardiff and Swansea Universities. Visual Computing represents one of the most challenging and inspiring arenas in computer science. Today, fifty percent of content on the internet is in the form of visual data and information, and more than fifty percent of the neurons in the human brain are used in visual perception and reasoning.
Our goals are:
- To make Wales an indisputable internationally leading country in visualization, volume graphics, video visualization, visual computing, flow visualization and medical visualization.
- To raise the overall profile of computer vision and image/video processing to internationally leading geometric modelling, scanner data, and computer vision and image/video processing including data-driven facial animation, and image analysis and measurement.
- To raise the research capability to an internationally visible level in computer graphics and virtual environments.
We are achieving these goals by:
- Building our capacity and changing the Welsh landscape in visual computing
- Building on the substantial infrastructure investment in visual computing within Wales
- Raising the international standing in terms of research quality and scientific impact in areas of visual computing
- Promoting long term and sustainable collaborations between Welsh HEIs
- Supporting Excellence in Computer Science Education
- Development of Industrial Research and Knowledge Exploitation & Engagement programmes
We have summarized our Visual Computing projects and have structured this web site to help you discover projects which may be of interest to you. You can do this in a number of different ways:
- Select the Project menu above to view a list of all our Visual Computing projects
- Select the Theme, (real world domain, e.g. Defence, Medical, Sports) menu above to view a list of Visual Computing projects associated with that Theme
- Select the Research Area, ( e.g. Computer Vision, Data Visualization, Geometry Processing) menu above to view a list of Visual Computing projects associated with that Research Area
- Alternatively, you can build your own advanced search, allowing you to specify any number and combinations from the Institution, Theme and Research Area. For instance, search for Medical Visual Computing Projects, using Data Visualization & Virtual Enviornments at Bangor University. The advanced search control can be found at the top of this page.