Prof. Ralph Martin
Name: Ralph Martin
RIVIC Director at Cardiff
Telephone: +44 (0) 29 2087 5536
Polygon mesh processing including registration, noise removal, segmentation and surface fitting.
Example Research Title:
Geometric Computing Algorithms and data structures for processing geometric data, for applications.
Computer Aided Design, Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Computer Vision Research: Professor Martin is currently following many lines of geometric computing research. One concerns bas-relief processing: extracting bas-reliefs from existing objects such as porcelain products, and reapplying them to new surfaces, as well as generation of new bas reliefs from 3D models and photos.
Other work lies at the boundaries of computer vision, image and video processing, and computer graphics, for example, turning videos into cartoons, and removing unwanted objects from video.
Looking for Commercial Partners:
Any companies or public bodies with an interest in processing geometric and visual data.
Working with Yonghuai Liu and Ran Song at Aberystwyth on Registration, and with Frank Langbein and others at Cardiff and Aberystwyth on Point Based Modelling. Also working with many international collaborators.
- Automatic 3D Free Form Surface Modelling and Analysis in the Frequency Space from Range Images
- Saliency detection for 3D surface reconstruction, segmentation and simplification
- 3D feature extraction and matching
- Efficient 3D shape matching and retrieval
- Noise removal and image enhancement
- Registration of 3D Point Clouds and Meshes: A Survey from Rigid to Non-Rigid
- Relief Computation using Shape-from-Shading
- Robust and Sensitive Methods for Non-rigid and Partial 3D Model Retrieval